Sunday, January 8, 2012

Pinwheels on a windy day

Well, I had a slow day today. On closer inspection in the morning daylight, the kitchen wall needed a FIFTH coat of white paint to cover the old green stuff. So I did that and then manged a bit of sewing in the afternoon. Also, a visit to Spotlight increased my fabric stash somewhat (but more of that another time after I've had a chance to iron it all. The wind today was good for drying, though.) I managed to finish a tiny, tiny pinwheel quilt in Civil War browns and blacks. It just needed binding. And I pieced and layered another mini-quilt ready for quilting.
This quilt really is tiny. You can get a sense of scale from the fifty cent piece. It measures just 17 X 14cm, and each pinwheel is 3cm square. I pieced it in an evening using a quick pinwheel technique (can't remember where I found it now). Then it sat around waiting to be hand-quilted for many months. I don't know what I'll do with it - I think it's more of a novelty than anything practical. But I'm really fond of it. It's quite thick and lumpy as you can imagine from all those close seams, and has a lovely tactile quality. You can lean it up against a wall and it supports its own weight!
This is my next shelf liner. More pinwheels! It's turned out pretty well and the pinwheels are fairly neat and accurate. I didn't quite have enough of the green floral, hence the odd, but hopefully quirky, pinwheel in the corner. I'm unsure how to quilt it, though. I feel like any quilting will spoil its nice smooth finish.
This is an iPad cover I made for my mum last year. I used French General's 'Maison de Garance' and hand quilted it. I like hand quilting small projects. It's very meditative.

 Here is a close-up of the reverse showing two appliqued hearts.
And here is the last of my unblogged finished pieces. A Doctor Who lavender sleep pillow for my oldest nephew. I just love that tardis pattern. It's one that's floating around on the web and congratulations to the designer whoever you are - it's just magnificent!

No comments:

Post a Comment