Friday, February 10, 2012

Meet Arnold the penguin and Quick Red Fox

This is Arnold the penguin from Fiona Dalton's gorgeous book 'Hop Skip Jump'. I handed over my toy books to my sister and nephew and asked them to choose a toy each. My sister bookmarked a few patterns and my oldest nephew Marcel chose Arnold for her - good choice! I'm a big Hop Skip Jump fan and have made a few toys now. I really recommend purchasing the book - it's choc-full of really wonderful characters.
Arnold's beak is curved and a bit wonky, but I just think that adds to his character - I love it actually! The pattern called for a hat recycled from a jumper cuff. I didn't have one handy so knitted his beanie instead - from some Jo Sharp tweed - classy penguin! I filled his legs with rice instead of fibre-fill and they dangle sooooo cutely over the edge of the table. The rice gives his legs some weight and they swing very nicely when you give him a shake.
And finally, Marcel chose Quick Red Fox - such a standout pattern. Both nephews now have foxes! The only thing I did differently this time was to make the kerchief longer so I could tie it in a proper knot - the other one was a touch too short.

There will be more Hop Skip Jump toys to come, I'm sure. I already have another Arnold in mind for a young friend who likes penguins, and a doll all cut out and ready to sew.

No comments:

Post a Comment